Monday, September 12, 2011

Rollin'!

At precisely 2:40 PM, the courier drove up with Jim's bike and my gear bag.  My whoops elicited a pleased smile from the concierge, who had become an implicit part of our missing bike drama.  Jim had left in the AM to hike with Jason, and they were nowhere to be found, so I quickly assembled and stowed his bike, then changed into cycling attire, checked over my bike setup, and sailed out onto the road at 3:30 PM.  What a great feeling to be air-borne, or wheel-borne, at last!


I headed through St. Lary, took a right, and within a km began to climb Col d'Azet.  The road was rough, narrow macadam that weaved up the mountain through small hamlets.  Bright sun, blue sky, few cars and lots of 8%-10% slopes came together in an "essence of the Pyrenees."  My plan, devised with the guys before they left in the morning, was to ride backwards on their planned route until I met them, then turn around and accompany them to St. Lary.  After climbing for 8.5 km, I saw a cyclist descending toward me and recognized Charles.  We hailed each other, and Charles said that he alone had decided to come over Col d'Azet--the others had turned and taken an easier route.  He was unaware of my plan to meet them.  Thank goodness for Charles and his adventurous spirit!  I could still be riding east, looking for the guys!  We are adaptable cyclists who stay open to opportunity as it arises--meaning we don't feel bound to the morning's plans.  This could occasionally have its disadvantages.


I finished the climb with an obligatory summit photo, then descended back to St. Lary the same way I'd come.  Intermittent loose gravel scattered over the macadam, as well as mottled sun/shadow on the road and occasional wind gusts unnerved me and I kept my speed under 25 mph.  If Ken Rosskopf can crash, I surely can, too.  It reminded me that I'm out of practice on my descending skills.Tomorrow it's back to the peloton.  What a boost--a bike and good buddies!  To the Pyrenees and beyond....! 
I

1 comment:

  1. Glad your bike and gear FINNALLY made it! Now to some real riding!
    Ride safe.
    Lenny

    ReplyDelete